It's pooh! Yes, that's right. Pooh indeed.
Part of Bella's nighttime routine is taking a bath, usually without soap but with a few dashes of almond oil to prevent her skin from drying out. I light some candles to create a peaceful mood, turn down the other lights in our house and put on some soft, soothing music. It's a great time for both of us to calm down.
A few nights ago, I was undressing Bella for bath time, like usual. Everything was prepared, the lights were off and the heater and candles were the only light in the bathroom. I quickly undressed her, then took off the diaper and quickly folded it over and left it on the floor to put in the bin later without paying much thought to it.
So she's in the bathtub. The lights are low, she's playing with her toys, I'm splashing her with water... We are gleeful. We could be in a damn Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo commercial. And then I notice something floating in the water. It appears to be a chunk of something... toe lint? No, wait. There's a lot more... And then I remember the diaper I so carelessly threw to the floor. Oh my god, I'm bathing my daughter in pooh!
This is when things get a bit fuzzy. I tried to drain the bathwater and use the water to rinse off the diaper in the toilet (all the while holding on to Bella's arm), but with all the extra movement, the drain hose came loose, and poopy water started spraying all over the floor. I went to plug up the drain hole, but couldn't find the plug. Where the heck was it?? Oh, there it is. Bella's chewing on it. Fantastic. I grab it from her, she starts crying. I plug it up, put the hose back in and continue draining the bathwater while I soap her up, which means I'll have to grab the shower head to rinse her. Unfortunately, it takes forever for the water to heat up, so I'm filling her bath with cold water... and remember, I'm doing all of this by candle light!!!
It was a mess. I finally called Alex to help me. He immediately turned the lights on and we put her in our bathtub for her very first shower. She loved it. Not that she thought the poopy bath was that bad, anyway. The most traumatic part of the entire situation for her was when I took the poopy plug away.
Documenting our Days: Indiana Dunes
9 years ago
10 comments:
Ha ha! Silly Bella... just think when Baby B has siblings and they bathe together... things like this will happen quite often. I know it did when we were little... Eeewwwww!
Silly Sarah,
Luke's poo'd in the water a couple of times. I typically pick up the poo out of the water and continue on :)by draining the water and starting a fresh batch which I am noticing is a convenience with american plumbing :) , that european stuff confuses me- like you have a hose to get the water out, it can't just go down the drain.
Hailey - YOUR TURN IS QUICKLY APPROACHING!!!!! :) too!
It is amazing how nonchalant I am about poo - picking it out of underwear (only if it is a lump) etc... I know that sounds gross - but really what are ya going to do?!
Hilarious that Bella's biggest problem with situation was getting the poopy plug taken away. Babies are funny. I must admit, I'm not looking forward to getting so well-acquainted with poop though.
I pooped in the bath with Shelly! It thinks its the warm water that gets everything movin'. I am jealous of Bella's bath time routine. It sounds so soothing. Love you
Tammy
Ewww, ewww, ewww! ;) Even being a mom with two little ones, I still think it's yucky! The worst for me was when H was tiny and Q and I were in the bath with her and we all had to evacuate! Hilarious though and you are too cute for sharing such a tale!
Hahaha! Ahhh, the first poopy bath experience- what fun. I was getting Apollo out of the bath last month, and I noticed he walked over to the garbage and threw something away. "What was that?" I thought, and went to inspect. It was a piece of poop. He had pooped on the floor when I was grabbing his diaper. At least he was picking up after himself, right? haha.
Ha ha ha! Merry, the European plumbing is the same. We just have one of those baby bathtubs... they may not have them in the US though.
Thanks for sharing all of your poo stories, girls! They are so funny! I'm not too squeamish when it comes to poo, but bathing in it is just plain old GROSS!!
Good news Sarah! Bella's immune system has probably been boosted. Did you know that the increase in Salmonella in chickens is because they don't get to scratch around in their Mother's poop. The solution? Spray baby chicks with poop water. Really! xox
This from Hailey's Mom
Mommy (Hailey's mommy), I'm happy to know that I've down my mommy duties by letting Bella bathe in her own feces. I'm going to hold back on spraying her with it though! ;P
I hadn't heard about that before. Icky, but I suppose good news, right?? More poo = less salmonella. Who would have known??
oh Sarah and Bella, you try to create this perfectly relaxed environment, and then poop has to get in the way. It was a pretty entertaining post to read. I don't remember my siblings pooping in the tub, though I remember making my sister eat soap, telling her it was candy, and her throwing up, that was pretty bad. Hope you're able to have a calming bath routine next time.
Post a Comment