We are investing in our future... Alex is going back to school to get a degree in graphic design, most likely Web Design or 3D Design. He is so thrilled about this. In my opinion, it is what he's always been meant to do. It just fits him. It's like Merry doing interior design. There was no question about it. She was already designing floor plans in the fifth grade. ;-) Alex is similar.
Isn't this exciting news??!!!! It means that Alex will be doing something he absolutely loves and, essentially, it makes our long-term future a bit less shaky. Unfortunately, though, it makes the next three years tumultuous. Alex will have class five days a week from 9am-2pm, then he'll have to work from 7pm to close (between 1 and 2 am usually... around 4am on the weekends). I already feel bad for him. He thinks that he will be able to do it, though, because he'll be inspired by what he's learning. Who knew he was such the optimist?
I will be doing a very important job as well - taking care of Arabella and running the household - but I will also be working at least half time from home. I just started this past week with my classes again, and so far so good. We hired a nanny/babysitter to be with Arabella while I'm teaching. She's a Bulgarian girl who has been living in Valencia for the past nine years. She's very nice. Arabella laughs and plays and seems to have fun with her.
Since Alex will be tied up with his classes, I've offered to put my bossiness to good use at The Bohemian when I can get down there in the afternoons. I'll be participating more with the managerial side of running the bar (the part that Alex hates. I LOVE it. See Geoff and Tammy? My bossiness has served a purpose!)
The exciting news is that there is the option of doing a fourth year to finish up the degree in England. Alex is already researching the different universities that offer top end design programs, and has found quite a few grants that we might be eligible for. Huh, I may be moving to ANOTHER foreign country. Yikes!
Well, there you have it. This all starts in October. Cross your fingers for us and send us lots of positive energy. I'm sure I will be reporting back on our progress from time to time ;-)
Well, there you have it. This all starts in October. Cross your fingers for us and send us lots of positive energy. I'm sure I will be reporting back on our progress from time to time ;-)
11 comments:
Wow! Good luck with everything. I think half the challenge is knowing what you want to do, so Alex is already half-way there if he has found his passion. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my career. I hope it all goes smoothly for you guys.
Love the adorable shirt thank you very much! I think its a good idea to get a degree in something you love. We had to put everything on hold for Tyler and now its beginning to pay off! Well done you guys! I am so excited for you! Talk to you soon.
I'll admit that my selfish side reads this as 4 MORE YEARS without my VBFF!! But my logical, supportive, good-friend side is SOOO excited for you guys and very impressed with Alex's ambition. Congratulations! I'm sending tons of positive energy to all three of you :)
I was just going to say pretty much the same thing as Hailey... minus the VBFF, since I have never been able to compete - so I'll change it to FF and fellow mama. Of course at this point I am totally game to move out of this country and get away from the bs of it all...
So best of luck with all you endeavors and I will send you good vibes and maybe more vashon t-shirts as bella gets bigger and out grows the other one. Oh and thanks for adding my name to your blog :) though I have been drawing floor plans since the 5th grade - I am definitely having issues with my calling - because I also liked to play "house" as a wee one and I think that is my true calling at the moment :)
loves to you all!
oh and Tammy I was thinking that shirt was pretty cute too... can't think of who might have got it for her :)
Merry, you totally crack me up.
I will be missing you guys too. These years will fly by, though, which is bitter sweet.
I like I'm sure everyone else was hoping the "big change on the horizon" was moving back to the US, but maybe now our husbands will get to work together at Adobe, that would be awesome! Hope the time flies!!
Can I just be the voice of Europe and say unreservedly hurrah?! :D Will have to stick around in the UK for a few years then. Come, it would be so cool! The whole plan sounds like hard work but totally worth it. Sending you and Alex lots and lots of luck and hopefully Luis and I will be over in Valencia one day soon! Nxxxxxx
PS Give Bella a big kiss from me!
You girls are all truly supportive. Thanks a lot for the encouragement, Sarah and I really appreciate it (and it gets me closer to understanding why Sarah loves you and misses you so much). As for Arabella she just loves everyone, cute little smiley girl.
I'm sorry I cannot bring Sarah back sooner, but she always scares me with how expensive the US is and how bla bla bla... She makes it seem like you guys pay for the actual action of taking a bill out of your wallet. So I guess we must be prepared and bring some skills over there and so on.
It's all for the best and we'll try to be in the US as soon as it looks good (hopefully that also means democrats in government, although if it was me I'd have socialism but that's probably just taboo over there).
Anyway THANK YOU all for your support... we're already feeling da love over here.
Um.. Hello?? The first time you comment on my blog, and the comment isn't even for ME??!
You are sweet, though. I'll give you that! ;-)
Post a Comment