Thursday, June 5, 2008

"Vaccines?? Maybe Some Other Day, Mom."

Last weekend we celebrated Paquita's 57th birthday along with Arabella's two month birthday. I can't believe she's already TWO months old! I know it doesn't seem very old, but I just keep thinking about how quickly the past ten years have gone by, and I want to hold on to every single minute of life with our daughter. Naturally, I find myself excited for all of the new experiences she'll have and all the brand new achievements I'll want to brag about (she now smiles up a storm when you take off her diaper and pushes herself backward as if she's trench-crawling, but on her back. Obviously she's a gifted exhibitionist!). At the same time, though, I feel like I'm on a vacation that I want to last forever, but the days just keep zipping by.

Anyway, along with a white chocolate and strawberry cheesecake I made to celebrate the birthdays, two months comes with a very unpleasant present: 2 month vaccines. Poor kid. And this isn't just one quick shot. There are like SEVEN of them! So, we made sure we were prepared (more for ourselves than for her).

Tuesday morning we got Arabella all ready to go. I gave her a pep talk and told her that we could do anything she wanted afterward (as if this is different than any other day). When we got to the health clinic, though, I felt her head and it seemed hot to me (this is also an on-going occurrence. I ALWAYS think she feels warm). Now, being a new mother, I constantly feel like I'm between over-reacting about every little cough, sneeze or strange noise that she makes, and not acting fast enough when she's seriously ill. Am I paranoid or negligent? Such a dilemma. I decided to act on the side of precaution because I know that it can be dangerous to give vaccines with a fever, and told one of the pediatricians about my concern. Of course she acted as if I was just another over-protective mother. "No creo que tenga fiebre, eh" (I don't think she has a fever), she said with a look of exasperation, but they gave me a thermometer to check, "just in case". I babbled on about how they probably know better than me, but that I'm a new mom and that I'm a bit over-cautious about fevers... blah blah blah... more self-depreciating nonsense... And what do you know? She had a low-grade fever. Both of the pediatricians thought it was nothing. Glad I went with my instinct.

We took Arabella to her pediatrician and all checked out just fine. She thinks she has a virus. She should be better within the next few days. Honestly, Bella seems fine to me - a bit more crying than usual, but oddly enough, she hasn't had a fever since that morning in the clinic. Alex thinks Arabella may very well have a super power that would be the envy of all school kids - the ability to raise her body temperature on demand.

You see? Parents brag. "Oh, you'll never guess what Arabella can do..."

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Ha! I love it! That's one smart and talented little girl you got there :)